Caste system has been a rigid part of Indian customs since ages. It is an evil that has made the rules and regulations of the Hindu tradition biased and unfair. Discrimination based on the caste system has ruined the society and created differences among the people belonging to different castes. Marriage is a sacred institution especially in context of Indian customs. Even when the world has become so advanced there are people who follow strict caste rules. Marriages in the Hindu society are caste driven; inter-caste marriages are considered to be a sin and are not approved by the elders.
Why inter-caste marriages are rejected in India?
There are various reasons because of which elders in the Hindu society flinch away from inter-caste marriages like:
- They fear of the societal norms and social standing
- Loss of reputation
- The cultural difference- they believe that the couple will not be able to settle down and religiously follow each other’s culture
- They believe that the children born out of the inter-caste marriage will not be perfect
- Torture that the family and the couple has to face at the hands of the society
The ill-effects of not approving the inter-caste marriages:
- Hampering the growth of the society
- Create fissures among different social groups and castes
- Poses a threat to the national unity
- Various love couples either end their life or are killed
What steps can be taken to convince the people to accept the inter-caste marriages trend?
It is the responsibility of the younger generation to make their elders realize that the rigid caste system is morbid and has a dark future ahead. The youngsters can take various steps on their part to demolish this system:
- The girl or boy should be introduced as a friend to the family and be allowed to earn their love and respect
- The qualities of the person you love should be highlighted in front of the family members
- Try and learn the customs of each other’s caste. This will enable you to earn the love of the family members
- Try and show your family members how this kind of systems are obstructing the progress of the nation
Steps that have been already taken:
- Government of India has made different laws to encourage inter-caste marriages
- Social activists and groups are actively contributing to the create awareness among the people of the hazards of not accepting the inter-caste-marriages
- Movies, plays, street plays, demonstrations, etc. have been used to demonstrate that inter-caste marriages should be allowed
Even after so much is done to curb this system yet it remains a social taboo. People of all castes have to stand together and fight this evil. Our write up is an effort to make you aware of the problems that are caused when inter-caste marriages are not accepted and is also an attempt to give suggestions to tackle them.